delving into ebook readers

Aaron Doucette instantkamera-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 8 19:21:15 UTC 2012

I have a sony e-reader. It was one of the highly regarded models back in
the day. It WILL read PDF (and many other formats), but it does a terrible
job. While the speed has likely improved, the reality of reading manuals
(or anything else) on a 6" screen (the norm) are the real limiting factor.
Monochrome aside, a few inches does make a difference.

Aside from the screen emulating paper, and battery life, there is nothing
these do that a tablet won't do better, and faster.

Also, I get the "I don't want all that extra stuff, I just want a device to
read off of" argument, but the reality is that tablets are insanely useful
devices. The features are there when you want them, and can be ignored when
you don't. Spending $100+ on a single purpose device that does the job
poorly is not a good use of money, in my opinion.

aaron