delving into ebook readers

Fri Jun 8 19:29:49 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 08, 2012 at 01:45:02PM -0400, Neil Watson wrote:
>It occurs to me that an ebook reader might be a good choice for me to
>read PDF technical manuals while commuting.  I've avoided these devices
>completely in the past due to the DRM issues.
>
>What kind of reader can I get that can read PDF's and ebooks from my
>local library?

I've got a Barnes and Noble Nook Color that I am very happy with.  Out
of the box it is a bit underwhelming, but once you put CyanogenMod on
it, it becomes really useful.

Once it is a generic Android-ish tablet, I put on the Nook app, the Kobo
app, the Kindle app and Adobe reader on it, as well at FBReader (my
favourite epub reader) and I can use any ebook around.  DRM still sucks,
but it sucks less when it doesn't matter to your actual use of
legitimate purchases.  Also, Angry Birds makes for quiet cars trips with
my six-year-old.

I really like reading at night with it without needing a light, so the
LCD colour screen is just what I wanted - if your heart is set on eInk,
the new Nook Touch has a backlight that I am very intrigued by.

Short answer - get an Android-able tablet with the features you want and
you'll have the most versatility with the fewest drawbacks.
--

yours,

William