I need to find a way to make image file of hard disk booting linux mint 9 lxde on all in one imac g5 powerpc

charles chris cccharlz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 3 15:33:26 UTC 2012

OK Let me clarify things.
First I installed Debian via the business card boot CD onto an iMac G5 (all
in one 20 inch Apple computer, late 2005)

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.5/powerpc/iso-cd/debian-6.0.5-powerpc-businesscard.iso

at the boot prompt I typed:
expert64 url=mintppc.org

This installed Debian with a Linux Mint 9 LXDE desktop via Ethernet
Internet connection. Depending on your Internet connection speed, this is a
lengthy process, I would prefer NOT to repeat every time I repair an iMac
G5.

Therefore, I would like to image the HD for rapid deployment like I do with
the images I created for Intel based systems.

BTW:  Terabytes image for Linux software can be used by changing the date
in the BIOS to the same month and year the image files were created (April
2012).

I got Iceweasel to play YouTube videos by installing the add-on,
FlashVideoReplacer then tweaking it to automatically play video in
standalone mode via gnome media player.

Unlike my X86 Linux Mint 9 LXDE image, I am unable to install many aps like
Damnvid, K9copy, DVDrip, etc.

I cloned the HD in my hackintosh via copycatX 5 running on Kalyway Tiger
10.4
The 80GB HD was cloned onto a 320GB HD.  The clone booted on the iMac G5.
Gparted is unable to resize the home partition to use up the 200+ GB of
free space left on the clone HD.
I will try resize2fs and fdisk.

The following is the partitioning scheme of the cloned HD:

/dev/sda1 unknown 31.50 KB I believe this is a special Apple thing
/dev/sda2 hfs bootstrap Size: 977.00 KB Used: 208.00 KB Unused: 769.00 KB
/dev/sda3 ext3 mount point: / size: 6.53 GB Used: 3.17 GB Unused: 3.35 GB
/dev/sda4 linux-swap Size: 1.39 GB
/dev/sda5 ext3 mount point: /home size: 66.59 GB used: 1.28 GB Unused:
65.31 GB
Unallocated size: 223.59 GB

The iMac G5 system:
PowerPC PPC970FX, altivec supported (1800.00MHz)
Debian GNU/Linux 6.05

In Iceweasel click tools >Add-ons > search for FlashVideoReplacer
Install the add-on then restart Iceweasel

Click FlashVideoReplacer icon (top right corner)
Change preferred method to standalone
Check mark Launch player automatically >Close
Goto youtube and play a video
The video will play in gnome media player automatically

I had to add my user account to the Sudoer's list:

su
echo 'username ALL=(ALL) ALL' >> /etc/sudoers.
 Why is powerpc so damn hard to image?

--
http://drpcdr.ca
http://jobcircle.ca