I need to find a way to make image file of hard disk booting linux mint 9 lxde on all in one imac g5 powerpc

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 3 14:25:51 UTC 2012

| From: William Muriithi <william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| On 3 June 2012 07:39, James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
| > charles chris wrote:
| >>
| >> All I have achieved so far is a bootable clone of the hard disk.  On my
| >> Kalyway Tiger Hackintosh I used copycatX 5 to clone the source Hard Disk of
| >> 80 GB onto a 320 GB.  However, it creates tons of free space.  Perhaps
| >> gparted can resize the home partition to consume all available free space.
| >
| Correct, use gparted or fdisk to extend the partition across the whole
| hard disk and then use resize2fs to extend the filesystem to fill up
| the partition

This advice isn't necessarily useful for Charles.

He's trying to use a Hackintosh (PC of some sort pretending to be an
Intel-based Mac, running some version of OSX with patches) to clone
and adjust a disk for a PowerPC-based Mac so that the PPC Mac can run
its own OSX *and* some Linux.

Charles' goal doesn't sound unreasonable, but it requires knowledge
that I don't have.  I suspect most TLUGers are in the same boat:

- Although many of us have been forced to learn how to make Windows
  and Linux co-exist, fewer of us have had to do so with a OSX.
  If you paid for OSX, usually you actually want it (unlike Windows)

- PowerPC is obsolete enough that it is over the horizon for most of
  us.  Both in the Mac world and in the Linux world.

I don't even know how PPC Macs partition disks.  I doubt that fdisk is
at all relevant.  I don't know about gparted.

Pure guesswork: if the newer and larger disk and filesystem work in
the PPC Mac (i.e. OSX boots and sees all that extra filesystem space)
then do everything from there on the PPC.  In particular, follow some
PPC Linux cookbook to adjust the partitioning and do the installation.

Justification for that suggestion: cross platform incompatibility is
all too common, and you are crossing a heck of a lot of platforms:

- PPC vs x86

- Linux vs OSX

- differing OSX versions

- differing Linux versions

- generic PC hardware trying to run OSX

Is there no way to have both disk drives connected to the PPC Mac at
the same time?  Either temporarily or permanently? That might make
some things easier.

| > I had the same issue when I put a larger drive in my ThinkPad last year.
| >  However, since I used LVM, I was able to use that space by creating another
| > volume and adding it to my system.

I've played enough with Windows / Linux coexistence that I consider
that problem easy in theory.  Practice often turns up surprises.