Rogers static name

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 1 15:05:15 UTC 2012

On 12-05-29 10:31 AM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> host<rogers IP>
>
> nslookup has been deprecated for close to a decade now after all.
> Better get used to NOT using it.

IIRC, nslookup was being dropped in favour of dig. Does anyone know (or
remember) what is wrong with nslookup or why dig was supposed to be better?
If dig's output isn't that good compared to nslookup I would have thought
there would have been more complaints about using dig to replace nslookup.
Now it seems as if host may have been created to fix the issues of dig that
was supposed to be better than nslookup.

It is interesting to compare the outputs of nslookup, dig, and host. Without
any command line options, nslookup and host provide almost the same
information but its better formatted from host and host adds the mail
exchanger information. dig provides a bunch of information (eg. the TTL
values) that the other two don't provide (by default) but its output is more
cryptic if you are looking beyond a simple name IP mapping in its output.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.