rogers offering a 6G data plan

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 30 22:28:43 UTC 2012

Alex Gabriel wrote:

> I've been on a 6GB plan with Rogers for at least 2 years now. In my
> experience there's never been an issue with data, but I suppose that's
> because I use my phone for its original purpose: telephone calls.
>
> Yes, I do occasionally surf the web and check the odd video on my
> phone, but that's only when a full computer isn't available.
>
> If you're planning to use it for tethering, I can see the cap being an
> issue. I don't use this feature, and since I run an Android phone,
> wireless networking is available by default.  If I really want
> Internet access, I join the closest available network and do my
> surfing that way.

When I got my 6 GB data plan, there was a special on which made it only
$5/month more expensive than the smallest plan (500 MB IIRC), so I went
with it then.  However, it's nice to know, even with tethering, that I'm
unlikely to come anywhere near the limit.  I also use WiFi with my
Android phone when available.  But even if it wasn't, I'm still not worried.