Problem: my desktop system hangs. Question: what to do next

Mel Wilson mwilson-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 27 15:47:34 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-07-25 at 07:25 -0400, Mel Wilson wrote:
> I have a desktop system that can't get through a build of gdb-7.4.1
> without locking up the desktop, and, apparently, all other processing.

Many thanks to everybody who replied, and everybody who thought about my
troubles.

The problem seems to be solved: I turned of Hyperthreading.  The gdb
build just finished after 5 minutes or so.

It makes sense.  When I was watching the "dual" CPU crawl from System
Monitor, I was struck by the symmetry: CPU0 usage went down when CPU1
usage went up, and vice versa.  Seems obvious now that I realize I was
looking at one dual-threaded core.  Similarly when the system locked
with both CPUs pinned at 100%, I'm looking at one core pinned at 200%,
or at a reporting artifact based on some impossible hardware state.
"Elementary," said he.

	Thanks again,		Mel.