OT: VMFS performance

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 27 13:54:34 UTC 2012

On 27/07/12 09:46 AM, William Muriithi wrote:
> Morning
>
> This may be slightly off topic as it has nothing to do with Linux, but
> since vmware seem to be popular, we may have something to share.  I do
> not like vmware and my beef with it is lack of visibility.
>
> My current problem is making sure that we are not I/O bound.  On xen
> or kvm, this would be a walk in the park. On vmware, well don't know
> how to be certain of that. I have checked esxtop but it seem only to
> show read write throughput, not whether the system is I/O saturated.
> I usually get that information from utilization when using iostat.
>
> So the question is, how do you guys monitor vmfs performance? Have
> there benchmarks between vmfs against any of the Linux based file
> systems ? I am suspecting it perform a bit slowly that for example
> ext4

One thing to check is that you have your schedulers all optimized.
Usually for me on Xen with a fast storage backend, I make sure to use
noop on all domUs, and then adjust the dom0 scheduler according to the
workload.

I don't see why doing the same with Vmware would be a problem. At least
then you have controlled for VMs thinking they know better. One less
variable to have to troubleshoot.

Jamon