Dtrace and containers ported to Linux

Anthony de Boer adb-SACILpcuo74 at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 26 02:58:37 UTC 2012

William Muriithi wrote:
> Just noticed that it look like dtrace and containers will be part of
> Linux soon. We are too spoiled with choices may be ?
>
> https://oss.oracle.com/ol6/docs/RELEASE-NOTES-UEK2-en.html#btrfs
> Kernel module signing facility: Applies cryptographic signature
> checking to modules on module load, checking the signature against a
> ring of public keys compiled into the kernel. GPG is used to do the
> cryptographic work and determines the format of the signature and key
> data.

Ah, but the tricky question is whether it's for them or for us: will
you be able to build a third-party module and load it into your
Oracle kernel?  Will this be the ultimate taint check?

> Linux Containers (lxc): Based on the Linux Cgroups and name spaces ...

While Oracle wasn't looking, at least Debian, Gentoo, and Fedora users
have already been playing with LXC, or even using them in production.
It's still relatively new functionality, but it works and it's making it
into the mainstream.

> Transcendent memory: Transcendent Memory (tmem for short) provides a
> new approach for improving the utilization of physical memory in a
> virtualized environment ...

Could be useful.  Most virtualization models carve off chunks of RAM
for VMs and don't have much by way of co-operation between host and
guest in memory management.

> DTrace: DTrace is a comprehensive dynamic tracing framework that was
> initially developed for the Oracle Solaris operating system; it is
> being ported to Linux by Oracle. ...

And are they releasing source?  Last I heard that was a complicated
issue.

--
Anthony de Boer