Problem: my desktop system hangs. Question: what to do next

dbmacg-HLeSyJ3qPdM at public.gmane.org dbmacg-HLeSyJ3qPdM at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 25 13:46:26 UTC 2012

About possible overtemp problem:
I have an AMD AM2 motherboard, with a dual-processor CPU. After a number
of system hangs, I toook a look inside the box, and found that the
heatsink/fan assembly was no longer held tightly to the CPU. It seems the
plastic heatsink-holder that went around the CPU was broken, and the
heatsink clip could no hold the assembly tightly to the CPU.

I found that "CPU retention clips" were available on EBay for this type of
motherboard for about 4 bucks. After replacing that clip, that fixed the
problem for me. (I had to completely remove the motherboard, replace the
clip and reconnect and reinstall everything, but it worked.

Dunc