boot question -- USB stick vs. DVD

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 20 10:01:54 UTC 2012

> On 07/19/2012 10:54 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
>>
>> | From: CLIFFORD ILKAY <clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>
>>
>> | I'm reminded of a USB key that I found at a park near my home that had
>> | obviously been out there long enough for the tip to be rusted.
>>
>> A famous way of infiltrating "impenetrable" organizations.  Like the
>> Iranian enrichment facility (rumoured).
>> <http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2011/06/yet_another_peo.html>
>

> I didn't attempt to boot from it.
>
> --
Lol,

You didn't have to be defensive.  Before reading this article,  I am
certain I would have done the same thing. And I would say I am a bit
paranoid and security aware, yet came up as an idiot in this case. :(

Yet another reason not to use the root account.  That would mitigate the
likelyhood of the keyboard and Linux don't run anything unless you
explicitly make it executable

William