Fwd: Hp3050a

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 19 02:26:27 UTC 2012

| From: David Germiquet <davegermiquet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| Just bought a 3050a hp printer from best buy.it works well with Linux
| even The wired connection works too it connects to my network. Is hp
| really that Linux friendly.the printer only costed 50 dollars

Friendly comes in several forms.

HP does not have Linux support for scanners released in the last few
years.

HP printer support is from drivers provided by HP.  I don't know if they
are open source (even though it matters).  I think that they are.

I'm struggling with a Brother DCP-7065dn printer/scanner.  Brother has
released closed source Linux drivers.  The scanner driver is misbehaving
but it isn't clear that there is any support for the drivers from Brother
(I'll see).

I got sucked in by a rush to a bargain:

- laser printer, duplex (i.e. able to print on both sides of a sheet)

- flatbed scanner

- automatic document feeder for scanner

- wired networking

- Linux support.  I didn't realize that both printer and scanner drivers
  were binary-only.  All my other Brother printers worked without
  proprietary drivers.

- all for $100.