What is the best file encryption for linux?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 18 15:19:11 UTC 2012

  I plan do some travelling and take along my netbook or laptop, I want
to be able to download+send email.  Web UI sucks.  I vastly prefer
downloading via "getmail".  The problem is that getmail's rc files have
userid+password in plain text for each account.  The risks of losing the
netbook/laptop are obvious.

  What I'm thinking of doing is something like so...

- instead of actual rc files in ~/.getmail, have symlinks pointing to
  non-existant files in /dev/shm (pseudo ramdrive)

- the email retrival script would
  - decrypt the rc files onto /dev/shm (after asking for a passphrase).
    This would make the symlinks in ~/.getmail valid
  - download email, using the symlinked rc files in ~/.getmail
  - and then immediately delete the real rc files in /dev/shm

  The symlinks in ~/.getmail would again be pointing to non-existant
files.  Does this sound feasable, and what encryption program should I
use?