Scheduling lockup crash?

Peter King peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 16 19:40:05 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 08:51:40AM -0400, Russell Reiter wrote:

>    This appears to be a logic failure in core 2 of the cpu, as indicated
>    by the End Of Interrupt  "rb_insert_color". Most probably heat related
>    as you indicate the problem just started happening.
>
>    In the short term when you have physical access you could try
>    under-clocking the cpu and see if the problem persists. You could also
>    try beefing up the cpu cooling or just applying a new layer of thermal
>    bond between the existing cpu and heat sync.
>    In my mind heat problems in integrated components are either
>    environmental or entropic. My thought is that this would be how a
>    microscopic flaw in manufacturing would expose itself prior to
>    exhibiting more serious End Of Life indications. Without knowing the
>    unit history I can't say much more other that it might be time to
>    replace the cpu.

Thanks. The machine has shown mild signs of flakiness in the past when called
upon for CPU-intensive tasks (say compiling gcc) -- random segfaults that would
go away if I let it cool down a bit. Now it glitches on compiling gimp or some
qt libraries. Mind you, it has been a hot summer, and the ambient temperature
in the room in which it is located is about 26C. But lm-sensors doesn't show
an abnormally high core temperature.

I'll try to cool it down to see whether that matters, but it sounds like it's
time to think about getting a more reliable (and well-cooled) computer. Time
to post a general query.

Thanks for the help!

Peter King			 	peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Department of Philosophy
170 St. George Street #521
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-4951 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5R 2M8
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42