Intel GMA500 Poulsbo works with recent kernels.

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 16 17:48:21 UTC 2012

| From: Scott Sullivan <scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org>
|
| On 07/16/2012 12:12 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
| > Or get an AMD CPU+GPU chip (C-60 or E-350). (Not very available but I
| > don't understand why.)
|
| E-350 has been replaced with the E-450 (it's mainly a die revision with very
| so slight better specs.)

Right.

| Also, I pretty sure that this chips are only coming in BGA packages (ie. not
| meant for pin sockets) which means they are soldered to the main-board. This
| means you best place to look for them is in laptops or miniITX boards.

Right.  Sorry that I wasn't clearer.  Just like Atom.

Actually the Atom is worse: it comes with a licensing agreement which
limits what you (the OEM board-maker) can allow the system to do.

The E-350 and E-450 chips take a fair bit more power than the atom
(double?) and have better performance.  So the C-60 is a better
parallel.

I have a netbook with a C-50.

| http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_CPU_on_Board
| http://www.zotac.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=182&Itemid=100308&lang=en

I see a fair number of low-end laptops with E-450.  My impression is
that its CPU performs more like an Atom than an i3.

We have three of these E-350 based nettops:
<http://www.foxconnchannel.com/ProductDetail.aspx?T=NanoPC&U=en-us0000001>
I really liked them at $100 (no RAM, no HDD) last year but I'm not quite as
excited at $166 (current Newegg.ca price including shipping).