UoT and Internet security

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 13 01:29:19 UTC 2012

| From: William Muriithi <william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| Came across this and thought I share for those who would want to get
| involved.  Looks interesting though I honestly did not understand what
| they are offering

| | https://citizenlab.org/2012/06/university-of-torontos-canada-centre-and-citizen-lab-announce-the-cyber-stewards-program/

Most of us are not invited since we don't live in the Global South
(Central America, Caribbean, South America, sub-Saharan Africa, Middle
East and North Africa, and Asia).

| I have noticed a couple of people here work for University of Toronto,
| would you know what they are offering from above? Security training?

The thing is worded very awkwardly.  Full of jargon.

They are offering some help for "South-based scholars and
practitioners".  They don't completely say what the help is for since
they think that it is more empowering for those SBS&P folks to
determine their own goals, agendas, etc.

I think that I know what they are trying to do from reading the
document and from what I think I know about the Citizen Lab.
Generally speaking, they do interesting things that I support.