Downloading tariff supreme court ruling

Bob Jonkman bjonkman-w5ExpX8uLjYAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 12 20:57:29 UTC 2012

On 12-07-12 02:57 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:

> To summarize... downloading via the internet as part of a
> transaction is *NOT* subject to a second royalty for "internet
> streaming".

Technically, there is no difference between "streaming" and
"downloading". The difference lies in the client software used to
receive the bits coming down the pipe, and in some minor sense, the
software used to put those bits on the pipe.

So, those people who can "stream" their music from a "download" site
don't need to pay this royalty, but people who "download" their music
from a "streaming" site do.

I haven't yet read the decision either, but I'm interested in the
definitions the Court applies to "streaming" and "downloading".

And for those citationists among you, here's Cory Doctorow on the subject:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/dec/08/music-streaming-cory-doctorow

- --Bob.

On 12-07-12 02:57 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 04:47:39PM +0000, Peter wrote
>> Is this ruling good or bad? I understand that it curbs some
>> extra tariffs charged previously for downloading material?
>>
>> http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/07/12/supreme-court-rules-no-tariffs-for-downloading-music/
>

> The headline is a bit misleading.  More info at
> http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/07/12/pol-supreme-court-copyright-rulings.html

I see it as a triumph for common sense.  When phone a store and buy a