Downloading tariff supreme court ruling

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 12 18:47:28 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Peter <plpeter2006-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Is this ruling good or bad? I understand that it curbs some extra tariffs
> charged previously for downloading material?
>
> http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/07/12/supreme-court-rules-no-tariffs-
> for-downloading-music/

I won't have a chance to seriously look at the SCC decisions until
tonight, but the answer to your question will almost certainly depend
on who you ask and what their views on copyright are, sensible or
otherwise.

My initial thoughts are that this is good for consumers and for online
music in general. Copyright collectives, lobbyists, as well as a
number of artists and labels are not likely be impressed.

I'm sure there will be much more thorough analysis done (for and
against) from better qualified people and online in the next day or
two.

--
  Scott Elcomb
  @psema4 on Twitter / Identi.ca