Compressed partition or block device?

Anthony de Boer adb-SACILpcuo74 at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 10 02:58:04 UTC 2012

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Also the ZFS lincese isn't compatible with the GPL, and hence while you
> can play with ZFS on your own system, you can't distribute it.

Well, you _can_ if your system is running FreeBSD, or whatever
OpenSolaris is calling itself this week, but that starts getting
off-topic for a Linux list.

But then a ZFS+NFS storage box can sit behind a workstation or
application server running Linux, or you can run a Linux virtual on one
of those systems (Debian GNU/kFreeBSD ought to fit in a FreeBSD jail).

And the GPL isn't the only license with interesting teeth; apparently
Oracle can't use the latest ZFS and other Solaris stuff from the free
community because of CDDL issues.

I like being able to snapshot all my stuff in only a few seconds!

--
Anthony de Boer