Rogers goes Linux Hostile

Alejandro Imass aimass-EzYyMjUkBrFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 9 21:32:50 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 2:28 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> | From: Alejandro Imass <aimass-EzYyMjUkBrFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org>
>
> [talking about the product, not the support.]
>
> | As with all ISPs YMMV. I had the exact same yet opposite experience
> | between Bell and Rogers and found Bell to be the least bad. The Bell
> | fibe network I have now is far superior to anything on cable from
> | Rogers that I have personal contact with.
> |
> | In my personal experience, the Bell fibe network is so blazing fast
> | that when I had recently got it, I hit my cap by downloading XCode
> | several times thinking that it had not downloaded.
>
> I am amused that you say how good the service is when inadvertantly
> showing how bad it is: how quickly you hit the cap.

At the time I had 25GB cap and that day I downloaded Xcode like 8
times which was around 10GB. Currently I have 50GB and I hardly ever
use more than 35GB. I'm not all that against caps because a lot of
people abuse the bandwidth so I'd rather have blazing fast speed and
have people that use more pay more. Rogers has caps and their cable
Internet bandwidth is pretty bad, so I think Bell is a better choice
(of course if Bell in your area has fibe). Smaller companies don't
have caps but their bandwidth is usually very limited, not always the
case though.