Rogers goes Linux Hostile

Alejandro Imass aimass-EzYyMjUkBrFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 9 16:36:53 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 12:11 PM, James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Alejandro Imass wrote:
>>
>> As with all ISPs YMMV. I had the exact same yet opposite experience
>> between Bell and Rogers and found Bell to be the least bad. The Bell
>> fibe network I have now is far superior to anything on cable from
>> Rogers that I have personal contact with.
>

> My comments were about the support quality.

Yeah, I can't comment on the Bell support but IMHO all ISP support
suck big time, they have their little recipe and what I usually do is
diagnose the problem previously and then put them on speaker and do
something else whilst I am making them think I am doing what they want
me to test and I just follow along like I was using Windows, yet I am
actually getting some real work done in a real OS ;-)

The trick is to sound like an ignorant final user and get _them_ to
work a lot and exhaust their script flowchart and get to the
"escalate" box, or simply get tired of hearing "nope,  nothing..." and
with a little luck and patience you can eventually connect with
someone you can actually talk to. If you act like an expert they will
give you hell __guaranteed__, and you will _never_ get to the next
level.

I've done work in many countries and it's always the same crap with
all ISPs, but the script exhaustion trick works almost every time, all
you have to do is get accross the first couple of layers of help-desk
human automata.