think twice about buying Linksys routers

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 6 15:30:45 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 08:42:05PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> <http://www.extremetech.com/computing/132142-ciscos-cloud-vision-mandatory-monetized-and-killed-at-their-discretion>
> You now have to ceded control to Linksys' cloud service.

At least for some models affected they do offer the ability to "downgrade"
to the old firmware interface.

It does seem Cisco has very much screwed up here.  How are you supposed to
fix your router to get on the internet if you have to be on the internet
to connect to the configuration system for your router?  Seems a lot of
users are not impressed.

Should probably just go buy a Buffalo router instead that comes with
DD-WRT from the factory.  Cheaper, more features, better performance,
and non crazy firmware.

> (The CellPipe modem's for Bell's VDSL2 suffer from a similar problem.  You
> have no control over firmware updates.  The current version is buggy and
> there is no relief.)

I just hit the factory reset button on mine, went in and disabled wifi
and HPNA, and then connected my router to the first network port and
setup PPPoE on my router.  Works great in bypass mode that way.

--
Len Sorensen