text indexing on Linux?

Ben Walton bdwalton-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 5 16:37:45 UTC 2012

> I know of "updatedb" and "locate", but they index only filenames, not
> the content.  For my need, "grep" is still faster than any SQL solution,
> but I'm curious as to what is the correct approach.

I don't know if correct is the right word in this case as "working"
could imply "correctness."

You could look at a command line interface to a xapian database
though.  It's a good indexing/search library.  I'm not sure if there
is anything that would work off the shelf or if you'd need to hack
something up with ruby/python though.  Also, if the number of files is
small, grep is likely adequate anyway.

Thanks
-Ben
Ben Walton <bdwalton-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

Take the risk of thinking for yourself.  Much more happiness,
truth, beauty and wisdom will come to you that way.

-Christopher Hitchens