Voltage Reduction Test February 7 (Ontario only)

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 31 19:05:39 UTC 2012

| From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org>

| >  There will be a three percent voltage reduction
| > test between 9:00 and 10:00 EST, followed by a five percent test
| > between 13:00 and 14:00 EST.

There was a 5 minute power failure in our neighbourhood at 9:30.  And
another short one at 10:46.

I don't imagine that they were connected with the test.  More likely
to do with the hydraulic excavator that is digging down 5m or more on
the road at our driveway today.

| >  The IESO will measure the electricity
| > load reduction resulting from these voltage changes.

I'd expect some loads to go up.  Power transmission at lower voltage
is less efficient and some things (like computers) take a certain
amount of power, whatever the voltage is (within reason).

Simple restance thingees, like baseboard heaters, water heaters,
ordinary electric stoves, and incandescent lightbulbs would use less
power (but some would lengthen their on time to compensate).