My Concerns Regarding The Copyright Modernization Act Bill C-11

Thomas Milne thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 31 14:18:21 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 1:10 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Apparently C-11 is going to the floor of the Commons on Feb 7.  I think
> its DRM provisions are bad.
>
> Please consider sending a letter to your MP etc.  I took the lazy way out
> and used <http://www.ccer.ca/> to generate one.  I did customize it
> slightly.  You can read it:

I absolutely 100% agree with you, and I will send a letter.

However, my intuition tells me that even if this doesn't pass,
something will eventually. There is just too much money behind it. In
the end, I strongly believe this will come down to a final battle on
the technical front, with the hackers (legitimate and otherwise)
taking on the entertainment industry and its cronies using advance
esoteric tactics like in Neuromancer.

There's an awesome book about this historical pattern of new
communication methods warring for supremacy with the old, it's called
The Master Switch:

http://goo.gl/AZcAM

Mind blowing.

--