Cannot Get Back Ethernet Connection

john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 27 18:04:39 UTC 2012

Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 12:19:00 -0500
From: ted.leslie-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
CC: john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: [TLUG]: Cannot Get Back Ethernet Connection

    did you add a pci card or reset or change your bios in mobo at the
    time this occurred.

    looking at other entries for other HW in lspci -vv may show other
    differences.

    There is PCI irq mapping at play and the fedora vs. ubuntu kernel
    are working it differently (i am guessing).

    of course if you change pci settings in your bios (i.e. no plug and
    play,and other pci/irq related settings) you risk nuking your
    windows

    (i know, as its happened to me once years ago).

    you should also look at dmesg of boot time (time frame).

    Maybe just update your ubuntu kernel? or pass in some boot string to
    manipulate APCH settings.

    But why it started to happen in the first place? i am guessing
    because of a add/remove pci card or bios change/update?

    -tl

I haven't added a pci card nor changed bios settings.

Tracing back my steps, its hard to pinpoint the last thing I did before it stopped working, reason being that I had the system (ubuntu) in sleep mode and the changes I made may not have affected it until I rebooted. I have in fact been making some network changes and the problem appeared a few days after making my changes when the system was rebooted. In fact I rebooted only because the system shut down one day when I tried waking it up. At that boot and every reboot afterward, there was no connection.

What I did was to change the router from my coyote pc to a commercial box so that I could do dhcp. I bought a blu-ray disk player that I could not connect to the internet on static ip, so changed systems. Meanwhile, I kept this one box as static ip. The dhcp was only for the BD player. And I made sure that the dhcp numbering was kept quite apart from the static ip numbers I use.

I got everything working OK, including the ubuntu system I was running. Then, after the system shut down instead of awakening and I could not connect, I started fiddling with dhcp ip's, ended up with ip conflicts and made a mess of it. But I'm fairly certain this mess happened *after* I lost connection in the first place. And I did get fedora and vista connected, so I was able to fix what I messed up. Except I can't fix ubuntu.

I had also installed mediatomb, which I have since removed.

That's the history of it in a nutshell.

I can't update the ubuntu kernel very easily because I have no internet when I'm on ubuntu. I'm not a computer whiz, so upgrading the kernel without using the package system is not something I have the skills to do. If there are no clues on what to do to fix it, I may have to re-install ubuntu. Or maybe try something else.

Thanks,

John.

    On 01/27/2012 12:07 PM, john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org wrote:

        > From: ted.leslie-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org

          > Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 10:23:52 -0500

          > Subject: Re: [TLUG]: Cannot Get Back Ethernet Connection

          > To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org

          > lspci -vv

          > i mean.

          > -tl

          Here's what came out - all I get out of it is that the irq's
          are different for ubuntu and fedora.

          UBUNTU:

          -------------

          "dmesg eth":

          <snip>

          [    0.815136] forcedeth: Reverse Engineered nForce ethernet
          driver. Version 0.64.

          [    0.815419] forcedeth 0000:00:07.0: PCI INT A ->
          Link[APCH] -> GSI 23 (level, low) -> IRQ 23

          [    0.815424] forcedeth 0000:00:07.0: setting latency timer
          to 64

          [    1.336900] forcedeth 0000:00:07.0: ifname eth0, PHY OUI
          0x732 @ 13, addr 00:1f:c6:04:ec:f0

          [    1.336903] forcedeth 0000:00:07.0: highdma pwrctl mgmt
          lnktim msi desc-v3

          [ 2270.703264] forcedeth 0000:00:07.0: irq 25 for MSI/MSI-X

          [ 2281.216026] eth0: no IPv6 routers present

          "lspci -vv":

          <snip>

          00:07.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Ethernet (rev a2)

              Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 2a66

              Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV-
          VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-

          >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-

              Latency: 0 (250ns min, 5000ns max)

              Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 23

              Region 0: Memory at fe02d000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
          [size=4K]

              Region 1: I/O ports at ec00 [size=8]

              Capabilities: <access denied>

              Kernel driver in use: forcedeth

              Kernel modules: forcedeth

          FEDORA:

          -------------

          "dmesg eth":

          <snip>

          forcedeth: Reverse Engineered nForce ethernet driver. Version
          0.64.

          forcedeth 0000:00:07.0: PCI INT A -> Link[APCH] -> GSI
          22 (level, low) -> IRQ 22

          forcedeth 0000:00:07.0: setting latency timer to 64

          forcedeth 0000:00:07.0: ifname eth0, PHY OUI 0x732 @ 13, addr
          00:1f:c6:04:ec:f0

          forcedeth 0000:00:07.0: highdma pwrctl mgmt lnktim msi desc-v3

          forcedeth 0000:00:07.0: irq 25 for MSI/MSI-X

          eth0: no IPv6 routers present

          "lspci -vv":

          <snip>

          00:07.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Ethernet (rev a2)

              Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 2a66

              Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV-
          VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+

          >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-

              Latency: 0 (250ns min, 5000ns max)

              Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 25

              Region 0: Memory at fe02d000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
          [size=4K]

              Region 1: I/O ports at ec00 [size=8]

              Capabilities: <access denied>

              Kernel driver in use: forcedeth

              Kernel modules: forcedeth

          I find it odd that eth0 in fedora ended up with irq 25 rather
          than 22 (from the 2nd line of fedora dmesg), yet in ubuntu
          eth0 got irq 23 (from the 2nd line of ubuntu dmesg) rather
          than 25.

          Is there a clue somewhere in the above?

          Thanks,

          John.

          <ted.leslie-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

          > > Compare lspci -xx on the two linux os.

          > > -tl

          > > On Jan 27, 2012 10:08 AM,
          <john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

          > >> Hello everyone;

          > >> After many years of trouble free ethernet
          connections, I have now lost it

          > >> (in more ways than one) and cannot get an IP
          address on my Ubuntu set up.

          > >> The condensed version of this story is that it
          won't connect, regardless of

          > >> whether I try DHCP or static IP address. Ubuntu
          just won't give me an IP

          > >> address.

          > >> On this same box, I also have Vista and Fedora.
          I am able to connect with

          > >> either, both with DHCP and static address
          configurations.

          > >> Here's a comparison of "dmesg | grep eth" for
          both Fedora and Ubuntu.

          > >> Fedora:

          > >> <snip>

          > >> forcedeth 0000:00:07.0: irq 25 for MSI/MSI-X

          > >> eth0: no IPv6 routers present

          > >> Ubuntu:

          > >> <snip>

          > >> [  480.187616] forcedeth 0000:00:07.0: irq 25
          for MSI/MSI-X

          > >> [  490.348024] eth0: no[  480.187616] forcedeth
          0000:00:07.0: irq 25 for

          > >> MSI/MSI-X

          > >> [  490.348024] eth0: no IPv6 routers present

          > >> [  611.855532] forcedeth 0000:00:07.0: irq 25
          for MSI/MSI-X

          > >> [  622.492015] eth0: no IPv6 routers present

          > >> I don't like what I see from Ubuntu and I have a
          feeling that it's not

          > >> good. However, feelings don't fix things and I
          don't know where to go to fix

          > >> it. I've been at this for days...

          > >> Any help would be appreciated. And I can expand
          the story if necessary,