My new PXE project

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 23 07:46:34 UTC 2012

Sharing time ... :-)

My new project recently has been setting up a massive PXE server and
environment. After dealing with the varying differences in LTSP over
the last time I tried, I've had pretty good success.

A whole whackload of games, which run very nicely under modern
versions of WINE, and boot from LAN = instant LAN party (and when in a
mini-ITX box, it's portable too!)

The biggest headaches were:
  modifying the setup to get binary drivers in *without* messing stuff
up for alternate video cards
  getting rid of pulseaudio (runs like crap in wine... I have no idea
how ESD/PA became standard given the many longstanding complaints)
  updating the environment easily (NBD main image with a few extra NFS mounts).
  moving to a nicer DM (settled on GDM with XFCE, also tried IceWM but
it seems not as friendly to screen resizes etc)
  getting mythtv to work properly inside

Has anyone else manager to do something "cool" with PXE? I'd love to
hear suggestions for what I can do with it. I'm hoping to get an
easily-run antivirus scanner (gotta figure out the local drive
mounting) added.

Also, if anyone has suggestions on possible ways to have SYSLinux pass
off to an ISO or something similar, I'd like to hear it. It would be
nice to have a few CD ISO's for various OS installs etc included

--
Tyler Aviss
Systems Support

"Computers don't make mistakes. They can, however, execute those
provided to them very quickly"