why NTFS reports incorrect file sizes

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 19 17:23:22 UTC 2012

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> What were they actually used for?

All kinds of stuff.  An app developer could create their own
attributes.  As an example, I used to access CompuServe with an app
called "Golden Compass".  I'd often download zipped files using it.  GC
would set the extended attributes of the zip file with history, such as
download date, the contents of a text file (FILE_ID.DIZ) that zip files
often included, access date & time, key words and all kinds of other
stuff and everything in the extended attributes was searchable.  The
icon was stored in there as well, as well as all the "shadows" (multiple
instances of the object in various locations.  REXX apps would be
interpreted and the parsed version stored in the EAs for faster
execution.  Extended attributes could do all this and much, much more.
It is these extended attributes that made the OS/2 "Workplace Shell"
desktop so powerful.  I have never seen any other desktop that can come
anywhere near to what the WPS could do.