nice paper on FireFox memory usage reduction

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 19 05:19:58 UTC 2012

On 1/18/2012 11:18 PM, William Park wrote:
>> Maybe I'm too or prematurely optimistic, but a few cycle of development
>> that are focused on optimizing instead of just throwing more hardware at
>> things would be nice.
>
> There gotta be better way of writing applications.  What happened to
> "small tools, doing one things" ideas of Unix.  Like Emacs... no bad
> example, like Kernel... no not that one, like like... I give up!

At $dayjob we've been working with this pipeline from source .doc files:

recode -> utf8
unrtf -> html
tidy -> xml
xmllint
xalan
a few perl scripts to reorder elements
a php cli script to convert to CSV
sed & awk to clean incorrect elements, populate empty fields

The result is a nicely formatted CSV file containing HTML5 markup.

Then into Drupal it goes using feeds import functionality.

Pretty fun and neat stuff. These very small utilities all chained
together with a single bash script are brilliantly reliable and robust
ways to accomplish the task given highly variable source material. I
don't want to even imagine how difficult it would be using something
like libreoffice from the command line with macros.

Jamon