good deal on Linux notebook (today only)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 14 00:24:40 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 06:49:37PM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> The Dell Vostro V131 is on sale today at dell for $319.  A coupon can
> reduce this by 10%
>
> Part of day 9 of Dell's Business Days of Deals:
> <http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/days_of_deals>
>
> Coupon: D1MWRSLGFQ7X0Q
> Note: coupon can only be used for one item per customer.
>
> Thanks: <http://forums.redflagdeals.com/10-coupon-dell-deals-hot-1130191/>
>
> One of the few mainstream notebooks that comes with Linux pre-installed
> (Ubuntu 11.04).
>
> I am obliged to point out that Lennart thinks Dell computers stink.
>
> On the other hand, you could apply the coupon to a pretty interesting
> monitor in the same sale: the U2212HM.  Price today is $169 and the coupon
> reduces that by 10%.  This monitor is IPS, much nicer than TN.

Unfortunately Dell is now using eIPS in some of the cheaper IPS screens
which is not nearly as good as the traditional IPS (but still much
better than TN).  It is quite a bit cheaper to build though, hence the
lower price.  I believe the traditional IPS is sIPS or hIPS.

> The real win would have been to use the coupon yesterday when they had the
> 30" U3011 for about $1000.  Nice monitor!

Yeah that one sure is nice.

--
Len Sorensen