ssh server configuration - Are public key and password exclusive?

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 13 21:11:02 UTC 2012

Christopher
> It *can* be enforced if the process that draws in entries for
> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys requires checking that the private key has a
> password.

Hmm, not sure I understood you.  How would you enforce it if you have
a contractor in USA and no physical access to his laptop during the
key pair generation?  Can you tell the private key is secured by a
password when all you have is the public key?

> As for "does not scale," I'm not sure that your requirement can be
> considered to "scale", but I think that requires explaining precisely
> what you mean, as "does not scale" is an overloaded term that itself
> 'does not scale'.
Agree, have misused the word scaling.  I meant it does now work if
some people are remote geographically

Thanks