ssh server configuration - Are public key and password exclusive?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 13 18:15:14 UTC 2012

William Muriithi wrote:
>> IIRC, turning off the requirement for passwords and enabling PKI are two
>> >  separate configuration issues and you can have both required, but I don't
>> >  know if it's possible to configure for either.
>> >
> Cool, that what I need.  How do I ensure login fail if no password or
> wrong password is presented?

The configuration is done in /etc/ssh/sshd_config (at least in openSUSE)

I have disabled passwords here:
# To disable tunneled clear text passwords, change to no here!
PasswordAuthentication no

You will have to change that to yes to require passwords.

You also want to leave as is:
# Change to no to disable s/key passwords
#ChallengeResponseAuthentication yes

However, I haven't tried both password and shared key, so you'll have to
experiment.  You can also man sshd_config for more info.