Ubuntu first time

Bob Jonkman bjonkman-w5ExpX8uLjYAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 13 06:24:14 UTC 2012

On 12-01-10 03:05 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Alejandro Imass<aimass-EzYyMjUkBrFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org>
>
> | I don't install _any_ software on it's point o version. In Ubuntu it
> | seems they have adopted Microsoft's approach to client beta testing
> | but at least they don't charge people for it. The .10 versions seem to
> | be quite stable, and people should wait for those.
>
> I have trouble with Ubuntu and Fedora releases.  I guess I'm a
> trouble-magnet.  I haven't even tried Debian, so I cannot compare it.
>
> Ubuntu's "cadence" isn't two phase, as far as I know.  So .04 and .10
> versions should have an equal chance of perfection.  Except for LTS
> versions.

Perhaps he meant the YY.MM.1 version.  For example, there was an Ubuntu
10.04.1 release in July 2010, and there will be a 10.04.4 release later
this month or next.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReleaseSchedule/LTStoLTS
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidReleaseSchedule

> The current LTS is 10.04; next is 12.04.  10.04 wasn't perfect out of
> the gate.  In fact, it isn't even perfect now.  But it is pretty solid
> (and a bit stale).  Stale and solid are correlated for most distros, I
> imagine.
>
> Ubuntu LTS versions sometimes come out with even-more-dots versions
> which are fixed but not advanced, more or less.  Like 10.04.1.

Ah.  Yes.

> My strategy for non-critical installations is to wait a couple of
> months for the dust to settle before using either a Fedora release or
> a Ubuntu release.
>
> Solid		Current		Exciting
> =====		=======		========
> RHEL/CentOS	Fedora		Rawhide
> Ubuntu LTS	Ubuntu		beta / RC
> Debian Stable	Debian Unstable	Debian Testing (Sid?)
>
> I like the idea of Solid, but I often find it too stale for my taste.
>
> I wish updated Live CD images were easy to come by.  I think Fedora
> lets you "respin" Live CDs, but I haven't looked at how much machinery
> you need.

Ubuntu LTS point release ISOs for both server and Live CDs for desktop
are available at
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/alternative-download .

> I wonder if Live USB stick version can be updated by the normal update
> mechanisms of the distro.

It is my experience that while you can update individual packages, the
persistent Live CD images created by Ubuntu Startup Disk Creator do not
have enough room for an upgrade.