Ubuntu first time

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 11 02:07:33 UTC 2012

On 01/10/2012 07:10 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> I have upgraded libc.  Didn't affect anything else.  I have upgraded gcc,
> again, didn't affect anything else.

You just reminded me of a Gentoo horror story. It was around 2005 or
2006 that I tried Gentoo on a P3-850MHz ThinkPad that was getting
long-in-the-tooth. Gentoo could supposedly be more efficient so I
thought it could make that machine usable with the maximum of 512M of
RAM that it had. It took days to build the system, KDE, OpenOffice,
Firefox, etc.

Shortly thereafter, there was a major change in glibc, which meant that
first, the entire build toolchain had to be rebuilt and then everything
else had to be rebuilt using the new toolchain. I remember that the
build would bail out at various points and in Googling, I found some
lengthy articles about how non-deterministic that particular scenario
was. Many people had given up and just done a fresh install but there
was no way that I was going to spend days fiddling around with my system
periodically just to have a usable system. I gave up and realized that
any advantages of Gentoo were illusory and looked at that whole sorry
episode as a big waste of time. I'll take binary distros, thank you. CPU
cycles are cheaper than my time and that's assuming the big if of
whether Gentoo is in fact any faster.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay