ZFS (was Ubuntu first time)

Alejandro Imass aimass-EzYyMjUkBrFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 10 19:34:58 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 2:12 PM, Jamon Camisso
<jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 1/10/2012 2:05 PM, Alejandro Imass wrote:
>> Thanks for pointing this out and I must apologize if I offended any
>> other Debian users, especially being a Debian user myself.
[...]

> Now that I find curious. Is this based on experience using the FreeBSD
> port? That lags behind Solaris/OpenIndiana by a fair number of releases.

Yep. Very, very bad experience with ZFS one of the first FBSD ports I
tried, well with RAID-z actually. It never truly recovered and was
left in a continuous loop of fix and fall back to error mode, time and
time again. I found the whole thing just *too easy* to be true and it
my experience it was.  I doubt it had to do with the FBSD port because
it seemed like a RAID-z issue I found on several forums and mailing
lists at the time, on Open Solaris even. Another problem I remember
had to do with hanging on large disk copies 500GB and above it would
just hang the whole system in the middle. This failure was related to
the FBSD port as I recall.

Of course, one bad experience is not enough to judge the fs but I
haven't had time to play around with it anymore so I just cautiously
stated "I'm not a big fan", but haven't said it sucks because a lot of
people use it successfully and are *very* happy. Guess I'll just have
to give it another go someday.

> For example, I don't think the current FreeBSD version has built in
> deduplication, whereas that has been available for quite some time now
> using a Solaris based (Illumos kernel) version.

Yeah, again this was one of the very first stable ports on FBSD but
never tried it again. As stated, a lot of FBSD folks seem to be using
it and seem *very* happy.

>> Perhaps, this supports my basic underlying argument in this thread and
>> that is to aggregate, not segregate.
>
> If you've got Apaches falling over under load, I'd segregate the
> front-end functionality and stick an nGinx or Varnish in front of your
> backend servers to handle the load :P

Yeah well, I *had* them failing under load before we migrated to FBSD.
I have been thinking of replacing Apache for my main proxy servers
though, and nGinx has been in my radar for a while but not so much
Varnish. Will give the latter a another look though.

> Sidenote: I think you might find containers in Solaris, or LXC which is
> progressing quite rapidly in Linux, are very well suited to the variety
> and separation of application stacks that you outlined in a previous
> message.

Wow. I was completely ignorant on LXC, will definitively look into that!!!

Thanks!

--
Alejandro