Ubuntu first time

Alejandro Imass aimass-EzYyMjUkBrFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 10 19:05:02 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 1:35 PM, Jamon Camisso
<jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 1/10/2012 1:07 PM, Alejandro Imass wrote:
>> Just to be clear, I *love* Linux, for some things at least. But I
>> *love* FreeBSD and other Open Source as well, not just Free Software.
>>
>> Man, more and more I get to understand the saying "Linux is for people
>> that hate Windows and FreeBSD is for people that love Unix". Though,
>> lately it seems that Debian GNU/Linux is for people that hate anything
>> else!
>
> You can't take one or two people from this list who are strongly
> opinionated about Debian and generalize to all Debian users. Most are
> silent and just go about using the OS. In the right hands, almost any OS
> is going to do the job.

Thanks for pointing this out and I must apologize if I offended any
other Debian users, especially being a Debian user myself.
I recognize my previous comments on Debianites were prejudicious and I
too fell into the passionate trap, but it really annoys me when people
put other stuff down with a myopic view, and this I have found very
typical of many a Debian folk, nevertheless it's unfair to judge all
Debian users.

> I for one think everyone should give OpenIndiana a shot for a week and
> forget about Linux and FreeBSD zealotry. You get ZFS, which when used

Looks very interesting indeed, will give a shot later in the year! I'm
not a big fan of ZFS though.

Perhaps, this supports my basic underlying argument in this thread and
that is to aggregate, not segregate.

Thanks!

--
Alejandro Imass