Ubuntu first time

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 10 16:48:50 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 11:05:57AM -0500, Alejandro Imass wrote:
> That's a technical and moderated point of view and completely valid,
> again from one particular perspective.
>
> Please note I am not saying Ubuntu is perfect, nor that it's better
> than Debian or anything of the sort. My comments in this thread are
> specifically against creating unfair FUD against _any_ other distro
> just because you (not *you*, but in a general sense) may think the sun
> shine out the ass of your particular distro. Many distros exist
> exactly because of this and we should aggregate, no segregate in Open
> Source communities.
>
> The zealosy distro bullshit is one of the things that has
> traditionally fragmented Linux communities and makes it harder to get
> Open Source in the main stream government and Enterprise. Divide and
> conquer my friend, and that is _exactly_ what traditional software
> corporations do whilst we spent our precious time arguing about how
> great my distro is.
>
> Regarding the Debian community in particular, they seem to think that
> everything else is crap, and that has been my point all along. I have
> learned the hard way that zealotry is the #1 enemy of Open Source.

The Debian commmunity works great with lots of other communities.

Many Debian developers are also Ubuntu developers as far as I can tell.

I am NOT a Debian developer.  Just a user.

I just happen to think that releasing things that are not good shouldn't
be done.  Ubuntu's standards are too low.  Their absolute need to meet a
fixed deadline assures that has to be the case.  Good enough is something
Ubuntu accepts (as does Fedora for the same reason).  I really doubt
Ubuntu has a bug category of 'release critical' which prevents a release
from happening until it is fixed.  Debian does.

If you can do a good job, why would you choose to do less?

I don't think any release of Windows has ever been out at the scheduled
release date.  I don't think that's a bad thing, I think it is better
they waited for it to be ready (not that windows is necesarily that good,
but at least they try).  So in that respect even Microsoft does a better
job than Ubuntu and Fedora (and anyone else that has the same crazy idea
of release scheduling).

--
Len Sorensen