Commercial Surveillance, who is going to remain part of the problem?

Myles Braithwaite me-qIX3qoPyADtH8hdXm2+x1laTQe2KTcn/ at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 10 16:24:40 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Scott Sullivan <scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I knew there was a reason I disliked using social network services.
> It was partially the lack of control over how my information would be used,
> but I was having trouble articulating it in a manner which would be
> meaningful to others.
>
> Well worth a read for it's honesty and brevity, but powerful point.
>
> http://www.betabeat.com/2011/12/13/in-which-eben-moglen-like-legit-yells-at-me-for-being-on-facebook/
>
> --
> Scott Sullivan

I don't see how information stored on Facebook, Twitter, or other
social networks differs from having a public website or blog where you
control your data. I think if we truly want to educate users we need
to tell them that anything published on the Internet (even for example
if it's a protected Twitter account or a Google+ message sent only to
two other people) is public information and can be archive for an
indefinite period of time and used by anyone for anything.

--
Myles Braithwaite
http://mylesbraithwaite.com | me-qIX3qoPyADtH8hdXm2+x1laTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org