Ubuntu first time

Alejandro Imass aimass-EzYyMjUkBrFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 10 05:54:57 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 9:16 PM, Thomas Milne
<thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 7:30 PM, Alejandro Imass <aimass-EzYyMjUkBrFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Lennart Sorensen
>> <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>> On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 02:41:13PM -0500, Alejandro Imass wrote:
[...]

> That's EXACTLY LENNART'S POINT. That _never happens_ with Debian.
> Ever. But as you yourself say, it does happen with Ubuntu. A lot.

It does happen with Debian also and just saying it doesn't mean it's
true. You post is typical Debianite zealotry that ultimately leads to
errors like the ssh scandal, which you seem to have deliberately
ignored in my last post. They do happen in Debian, *very publicly and
shamefully so* - it was Debian stable, so don't say they don't happen
"Ever", because it undermines the credibility of your whole post.

I can understand why Debianites are pissed off at Ubuntu but it
doesn't justify creating FUD on it, on ANY Linux distro for that
matter.

>> Same thing we've done since we started using it circa Ubuntu 5.04
>
> Wow, that sounds like amazing fun. Why not just load Debian and never
> have to even worry if some or other release of Ubuntu is going to be,
> as YOU describe it, 'somewhat broken'?

I don't install _any_ software on it's point o version. In Ubuntu it
seems they have adopted Microsoft's approach to client beta testing
but at least they don't charge people for it. The .10 versions seem to
be quite stable, and people should wait for those.

[...]

> How _exactly_ is Debian Unstable 'unusable' (I'm assuming that's the
> word you meant)?

[...]

> You mean like 'Debian Unstable is unusable'?

Oh my god! I have a typo, please spare my life!

If you are a Debian user you know for a fact that Debian unstable is
so quirky it makes it unusable, un-usable, not-usable, or whatever you
wanna call it, like it's very name: unstable and hardly good for any
practical use.

"Testing" is quite good and probably the best choice for doing
anything on the desktop that requires some relatively new version of
anything. Stable is great for servers yet the packaging is so old it
can be challenging sometimes to get things done and you may wind up
compiling many things from source.

Debian is a great OS, but so is Ubuntu and it's unfair to create this
FUD just because YOU think Debian is awesome and Ubuntu is crap,
because it's not. They satisfy different needs and to solve real-world
problems, and so do the other Linux distros, and non Linux OSes as
well.

--
Alejandro Imass