Reliable HDD SATA Enclosures/Adapters

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 9 20:01:13 UTC 2012

If you're buying new disk, then external disk is not a bad option.  It's even cheaper than internal ones.

As for portable enclosure, Vantec.  Docking station, Thermaltake.

Off topic.  One thing I noticed that external USB disk uses 4k block.  But, when I recently broke open a Hitachi external disk (I needed the bare disk), it's the same as internal disk sold separately with 512b sector.  In fact, it's exactly the model that I bought almost a year ago, except for newer firmware which accounts for being 50% faster.  This may create problems when you take the disk out and connect it directly to SATA.

--

William