Ubuntu first time

Alejandro Imass aimass-EzYyMjUkBrFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 9 19:41:13 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 1:47 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 03:04:29PM -0500, Alex Gabriel wrote:
>> There are deb files on the Opera site as well, but I'd rather not have

[...]

> Seems the sensible option would be Debian which only installs what you
> ask for.  If you ask for nothing you get a basic linux system with a
> working package manager that you can tell what to install.
>
> I certainly am not a fan of Ubuntu in general.

It all depends on your needs. Ubuntu is just fine for everyday
workstations where you don't want to worry about things just working,
no matter how bad the approach may be (much a la Windoze) but it get's
the job done and it's not Windows.

For specialized workstations and servers Debian is clearly a better
choice. But then so is Slack and Gentoo. So it all depends... there is
no one size fits all and that is the beauty of Open Source in
particular Linux where there are many specialized distros for each
need.

--
Alejandro Imass