PC Routers

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 5 17:20:27 UTC 2012

Duncan MacGregor wrote:
> On January 4, 2012 09:21:53 PM you wrote:
>> Duncan MacGregor wrote:
>>> Today, most wireless 'routers' are really 'switches' with wireless
>>> capability. For examples of switches, look at:
>>>
>>> http://www.pcvonline.com/ProductsList.aspx?CategoryID=24815&24136&manuf=
>>> TP- LINK
>> Actually, what people buy are routers that include a 4 (actually 6) port
>> switch with WiFi.  I have no idea why you posted that link as those
>> items are not what's being discussed.
> Why? I posted that link in answer to the earlier question:
>
>>> Any recommendations on a router that does NOT have wireless support? My
>>> friend is amenable to flashing with OpenWRT but he doesn't want wireless
>>> since he already has Apple wireless base stations.

I believe the orginal question was:

> Can you give some examples of such routers, please? Do any of them
> support wireless "N"? I have a friend looking for a router to
> replace his existing ISP-supplied router that is apparently not
> flexible enough. I had set up IPCop for him years ago but the PC on
> which it was running died and he would rather have an "appliance"
> that doesn't have any moving parts. I figure we can meet his needs
> and still have something that is based on Linux by using one of
> these Atheros MIPS24k routers you mentioned.

Routers, not switches, are generally used to connect to the ISP, as
routing function is required.  Switches don't provide that.  Consumer
routers provide router, switch & WiFi all in one box.  Also, I don't
recall ever seeing a switch with WiFi included, in either consumer or
industrial level equipment.
> And suggested that a search for 'switch' might be more useful than a search
> for 'wifi router without  wifi'
A switch does not provide the needed function and so not considered.  A
switch may be added if the router doesn't provide sufficient ports for
the number of devices to be connected.