6in4 ipv6 tunnel hosting

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 29 14:55:41 UTC 2012

Neil Watson wrote:
> I even have a /64 block of ipv6's.  I'd like to configure
> this host to act as a tunnel broker for some of my other hosts.

Are those other hosts on the same LAN or remote sites?  If on the same
LAN, you could set up the server as a router.  If different location,
then you really don't want to split that /64 subnet.  On IPv6, a /64 is
supposed to be the smallest subnet, because the addresses are supposed
to accommodate 64 bit MAC address (48 bit MACs are padded out to 64 bits
by inserting FFFE in the middle).  This means that if you split that
/64, you will not be able to use the MAC to form the address and may run
into issues with random number generated addresses.  My /56 subnet can
be split into 256 /64 subnets, which can then be routed elsewhere.

The IP command should be able to set up a basic tunnel, using the SIT
mode, which is 6in4 tunneling.
I haven't had to use it, but it should be something along the lines of
"IP tunnel add sit <remote address> <local address>" with the addresses
appropriate for each end.