Linux Flash going to be limited to Chrome

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 26 00:08:46 UTC 2012

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012, Christopher Browne wrote:

> This parallels Jim Mercer's comments at the January meeting on the
> "bloat trouble with Java"; the trouble isn't with the language itself,
> rather that unthinking programmers see that there's an option to set
> the size of the VM to be "really big," and imagine that's a wise thing

Exactly.  A few years ago I migrated a company's virtual systems from
VMWare (slow) to OpenVZ (fast).  Most of the systems were running Tomcat
for development.

OpenVZ applies strict resource constraints[1] to prevent containers (CTs)
trampling on one another.  These were a precursor to cgroups that are now
integrated in to the kernel.

During testing we found that Tomcat wouldn't start on a CTs with low
memory constraints.  We found that Tomcat was asking for but never using
enormous amounts of ram.  After tuning down the initial resource
requirements of Tomcat it ran just fine under OpenVZ.  OpenVZ was used at
this company for years and, afaik, still is.

I have the same browser resource issues that others are mentioning of
course.  Maybe it is time to apply for cgroups

Hmm I wonder what would happen if I got cgroups to limit the brower's
resource consumption.  Apps are going to have to get better at living in
an environment in which the OS says 'no' to resource requests more often.

[1] Most problems people report with OpenVZ come from misunderstanding the
resource limits.  The key I found was to avoid hand tuning (while well
documented this is a difficult and thankless process) and get 'vzsplit' to
do the hard work.

Cheers,

Rob

--