Webcam not working on Thinkpad E520

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 24 03:59:48 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 05:10:00PM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> This is the kind of thing that scares me away from Debian.
>
> I like it when the distro takes care of me.
>
> I will admit:
>
> - my trust in Fedora and Ubuntu has not always been justified.
>
> - I'm being a bit like a Windows user: if it is broken, someone
>   else will fix it or it will stay broken.
>
> I'd like to be braver.
>
> How do you keep aware of backports?  How do you decide whether to use
> one?

How do you know a version of anything exists?  How do you know firefox
exists?

www.backports.org has a list of the packages.

packages.debian.org/packagename shows the version of any package in each
debian release at this time, including backports, so if you wanted say
'apache2.2' then it would tell you which versions exist in which debian
releases.

For example:

packages.debian.org/debhelper:

Package debhelper

lenny (oldstable) (devel): helper programs for debian/rules
7.0.15: all

lenny-backports (devel): helper programs for debian/rules
8.0.0~bpo50+2 [backports]: all

squeeze (stable) (devel): helper programs for debian/rules
8.0.0: all

squeeze-backports (devel): helper programs for debian/rules
9.20120115~bpo60+1 [backports]: all

wheezy (testing) (devel): helper programs for debian/rules
9.20120115: all

sid (unstable) (devel): helper programs for debian/rules
9.20120115: all

So lenny (oldstable at this point) has version 7.0.15, and backports for
lenny has 8.0.0.  squeeze (current stable) has 8.0.0 and backports fo
squeeze has 9.20120115.  wheezy (testing) has 9.20120115 (seems to be
where the backport comes from at this time), and sid (unstable) has the
same version.

--
Len Sorensen