C-30 section 34 is awesome

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 19 04:26:15 UTC 2012

I thought that naming the bill "Lawful Access" was bad.  Why is it
Lawful?  Because we say so, right here.

So they renamed it "Protecting Children from Internet Predators Act".
That's even wilder because there is no mention of children or predators in
the act (except in Section 1 "Short Title").

  <http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Docid=5380965&File=9>

This article shows how truly wild the bill's section 34 is:
  <http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Docid=5380965&file=4>

According to the bill, many obligations fall on a “telecommunications
service provider”, including those of section 34.  A TSP is defined as someone
that provides "telecommunications services".  A TS is:

    “telecommunications service” means a service, or a feature of a service,
    that is provided by means of telecommunications facilities, whether the
    provider owns, leases or has any other interest in or right respecting the
    telecommunications facilities and any related equipment used to provide
    the service.

A "telecommunications facility":

    “telecommunications facility” means any
    facility, apparatus or other thing that is used for telecommunications
    or for any operation directly connected with telecommunications.

As far as I can tell, we all have telecommunications facilities
(phones, computers, routers, ...).  So we all have telecommunications
services.  And we all provide telecommunications services, if not to
anyone else, at least to ourselves.  So we all are telecommunications
service providers.  And I don't think that this interpretation is a
stretch.