Making a deb package

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 21 23:06:22 UTC 2012

FYI

On 21 February 2012 16:32, William Muriithi <william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Lennart
>

>> dpkg-buildpackage gets it from debian/control.
>
> Thank you.  That helped a lot.  I was actually able to get further
> after realizing  dpkg-buildpackage and  dpkg-source do not share the
> same configuration file.
>>
>> Not sure where the other part you listed came from.
>>
>> Also no idea where you got a ubuntu one from.  I only checked that
>> the debian package from debian unstable is buildable on debian stable
>> with one minor update in packages by getting debhelper from debian
>> squeeze-backports.
> I got the Ubuntu version from ubuntu 11.10 repository.  This is after
> trying the debian source package without success.  I mean, the package
> on the debian repository can't install on my system without updating
> and installing lots of other packages which is what I was attempting
> to avoid.  The whole idea is to have apache 2.2.22 without triggering
> a full system upgrade
>
> Now, it seem I have hate some bug from my google search.  The thing is
> if I manually create debian/tmp/usr/share/apache2/icons, it complain
> it can't clean the tmp directory.  If its not created, it complain the
> directory do not exist.

Managed to go past this issue, by modifying debian/rules file.  It
compiled successfully but failed up during the clean up process. Damn,
 now a bit of more googling

This is the last couple of lines before the exit with error 2

+ mv tmp_config_vars.mk config_vars.mk
dh_testroot
dh_testdir
dh_installdirs
#cleanup of death
rm -rf debian/tmp/etc/apache2/original
rm -rf debian/tmp/usr/include
rm -rf debian/tmp/usr/share/apache2/build
rm -f debian/tmp/usr/share/man/man8/httpd.8 # We install our own
rm -f debian/tmp/usr/sbin/apxs debian/tmp/usr/sbin/apache2
# DO NOT FALL FOR THE TEMPTATION TO MV INTO PACKAGES OR DOOM
# WILL FIND YOU.  Use dh_install, this is just because dh_install
# can't rename files
mv debian/tmp/usr/share/man/man8/apxs.8 debian/tmp/usr/share/man/man8/apxs2.8
mv: cannot stat `debian/tmp/usr/share/man/man8/apxs.8': No such file
or directory
make: *** [install] Error 1
dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2

Regards,

William