Webcam not working on Thinkpad E520

Daniel Wayne Armstrong daniel-HRJVlgn2G/y5aS82P/H3Zg at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 21 17:56:15 UTC 2012

Hi all ... I installed Debian Squeeze (32-bit) on a Thinkpad Edge E520
and the built-in webcam fails to work with the backported kernel ...
launching guvcview or luvcview alternates between crashing and locking
up the entire desktop.

Some info:

* kernel is 3.2.0-0.bpo.1-686-pae
* lsusb detects the webcam and identifies it as "5986:03b3 Acer"
* uvcvideo module is loaded

I tried booting into the default 2.6.32 kernel in Debian Squeeze and
the webcam *did* work with that kernel (but everything else is better
supported in the newer backport kernel).

Anything else I can try to get it working? Can I install maybe
another, earlier released Debian kernel (but later than 2.6.32)?

Thanks for any help!

--
    //
[ - .- ]  ,< http://www.circuidipity.com