WMs/DEs (was SparkleShare)

Jason Nicolaides voidpointer-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 14 16:41:40 UTC 2012

Hello Howard,

I wasn't the one that was enquiring into stalonetray, I was suggesting it
to the others.  No big whoop.

On 13 February 2012 23:03, Howard Gibson <hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

>   I use stalonetray to run Google toolbar apps on FVWM.

It's funny you mention Fvwm because that's how I found out about
stalonetray.  Up until recently I was using Fvwm as my primary window
manager and I was looking for a systray app that docks easily into
FvwmButtons.  Eventually I decided to run apps that didn't require a
notification area or I could turn off their systray icons and just use
Iconified windows that were sticky.  It worked well.

Then I caught the, "I need to change my working environment!" bug and
switched to KDE. Go figure.

>   If you are bailing out of Gnome_3, try XFCE.

Xfce is a fantastic desktop environment.  I agree with you that Xfce is an
excellent replacement for GNOME3.

> I love FVWM because I have been configuring it since 1996.

When I started my second year of university I got access to the "Linux
Lab".  Don't ask me what distribution it was I don't remember, it was 1996
as well.  The default window manager was Fvwm with that hideous pink title
bar.  That was the first time I ever used any UNIX(-like) OS much less
Linux.  Fond memories.

That was a bit of a ramble.  Sorry about that.
Cheers,
Jason