CALL FOR ACTION: THE OPEN WEB NEEDS YOU *NOW*

Mel Wilson mwilson-4YeSL8/OYKRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 14 16:09:31 UTC 2012

On 02/13/2012 10:47 PM, Howard Gibson wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 08:06:48 -0800 (PST)
> William Park<opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>  wrote:
>
>> Just get rid of CSS, and rename the new standard as HTML6.
>> --
>> William
> William,
>
>     No, CSS is an excellent idea.  Proprietary extensions are what is bad.
>
>     Perhaps it is time to update the "The HTML Terrorist's Handbook"
>
>     http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=%22%20the%20html%20terrorist's%20handbook%22&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCgQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fronczek.org%2Fmartin%2Fcoden%2FThe%2520HTML%2520Terrorist's%2520Handbook.htm&ei=sNc5T4GMPI3cggf-nMWZCw&usg=AFQjCNHNCib5O28tOVJltQDTbC0IqDdqng
>
>     This goes back to the days when Netscape was evil.  It badly needs work.

Ditto the Dr.Jekyll side <http://www.ology.org/tilt/cgh/index4.html>.
It's really pretty good dealing with authorial style.  On the other
hand, when it says:

"we will no doubt continue to print out things. It's hard to curl up
with a notebook at night, especially if it has a coaxial cable jutting
out the back of it." (yes children, once upon a time...)

"your readers will have an average of only 14,400 bits of information
per second sent to them. This is not a large number" (coexisting with
TV/IP is getting us there -- but not yet)

"Another way to manage URLs is to only publicize a few well-known entry
points to your Web: for example, the top view, or table of contents
page, " (then came Google)

it's awesomely out of date.  And only since 1995.  Wow!

     Mel.